When designing large public restrooms with multiple lavatories, urinals, and toilet compartments, the following guidelines are recommended:
- Entrances and exits are laid out to minimize congestion and for universal access;
- Passageways and access aisles are a minimum 42 inches to 48 inches (1065 to 1220mm) wide;
- Minimum clear height of 80 inches (2030mm) throughout all circulation routes, passageways, and access isles;
- Wheelchair turning spaces wherever required;
- Accessories are fully recessed into the walls wherever possible;
- Each type of accessory meets or exceeds 2010 ADA and 2009 ICC/ANSI Standards;
- Centered minimum clear floor space of 30 inches by 48 inches (760 by 1220mm) is provided for each accessory;
- Lavatories, urinals, and toilet compartments meet or exceed 2010 ADA and 2009 ICC/ANSI Standards;
- If there are 6 or more toilet compartments or urinals, there is at least one ambulatory accessible toilet compartment in addition to the standard accessible compartment.
Figures 14, 15, and 16 illustrate accessible restrooms with suggested universal design features that meet and exceed 2010 ADA and 2009 ICC/ANSI Standards.